Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Day 1 & 2



(yesterday)

I have been running on adrenaline for what seems like days now although today was just day one. Really though, today was an eternity -- everything, literally everything blowing my mind. There is little time to write about it because there is so much to do. And this is how I like it. Non-stop. Jimmy-puff sent me a quote:

"There's been time this whole time. You can't kill time with your heart. Everything takes time. Bees have to move very fast to stay still."

(today)

Well the sadness is gone. It disappeared immediately after the first night. I haven't had a sad thought since. Not one. Every thought is an exclamation point. A lack of vocabulary. A feeling of being humble. I feel like this will be the best year.

There are a billion plans: plans to trek out to the red sea and go diving in the world's best diving waters. Plans to rent a motorcycle and drive it to more world-class Egyptian ruins, plans plans plans. Everynight we all find ourselves on the roof of the Hostel where the sunsets are so epic and the stories are endless. Archeologists have crazy stories. Arabic comes about half a dozen words a day. I've got my basic greetings and numbers 1-10 down. In general, Egyptian people amaze me. They are incredibly kind and compassionate. Considering our government's actions in the Middle East I didn't expect such a warm welcome. And my job. I love my job. I'm working in one of the most amazing places in the world. I can't really describe it. There's just ancient Egyptian temples and blocks and hieroglyphics everywhere you turn, lying everywhere. It feels like I'm on some Hollywood set for Indiana Jones and its all there for you to touch. Climb on. Read. Interpret. It's one of those things you have experience in the flesh.

Time to go clean the gear of dust - to insure that it lasts this will be necessary to do almost everyday. Dust is everywhere and it is so fine - like powder. when you step in it, it bubbles up and covers your leg in a layer of soot.

I came into this thinking - I will have to learn to be with myself for a year, I will have to find ways to keep my mind and heart healthy - play the guitar, study Arabic, live the Stoic life. I was so intent on being careful to keep the lonely at bay. But I see that that will not be an issue. My days are full, and I don't need to look for any activities to busy me.

No comments: