Thursday, November 13, 2008

i got paid



Not really. Just a small cash advance to get me through the month. My salary hasn't come through yet because of complications wiring to American bank accounts. At present I have $110 in my bank account. I had to pay a $200 termination fee to T-MOBILE (evil) for a phone that I had in the states for 5 months and that pretty much emptied it out. I am paying minimal loans, but come January most to all of my salary for a couple months will go into eliminating my grad school loans once and for all. Funny, I only went for one year, got no degree, but managed to accrue 30 grand in loans. This is unique to America really, and a real issue for the next 4-8 years of Obama's administration in my opinion. I believe they recognize how ridiculous the cost of American education has become.

I suppose I was somewhat foolish for attending Grad school for a year, but I like to believe that maybe it had something to do with where I am now. Let me remind myself that I am in Egypt. I am not paying rent. I am working my butt off as always, but what a place for adventures and photographs.

I don't want to meditate too long on the difficulties of making it as a photographer in the here and now, because I find myself in a beautiful situation at present, but I worry about the future. There will have to be some major thought put into it - whether its buddying up with a Travel Magazine or an Airline Magazine and freelance articles or really marketing oneself via Photoshelter or other such micro-stock sites or doing a lot of Weddings - but there is a way. In Russia, I enjoyed juggling working at a magazine, shooting corporate parties, teaching English, and DJing. And I barely scraped by - which is how I anticipate to live my life - barely scraping by. For now I have no problem with that. I imagine down the line I'll have to find a way to have a more stable income, but for my young life, this is fine.

My friend and mentor Sean McDevitt is a master of all trades: teaches at Pratt and Snow Farm (an arts summer camp in Massachusetts), works at a studio in Manhattan, DJ's weddings, bar mitzfahs, parties, and works as a Mac technician. All at once. And somehow manages to make art and have a great life and an awesome wife. I really admire that. He was the one who turned me onto photography and it is in that spirit that I'd like to follow. Some kind of Renaissance woman existence that combines white water, photography, travel and DJing. Mmm. Delicious.

3 comments:

Hazel said...

It's looks like a lot of money! But the real pay isn't in the bills, is it? I am so thrilled that you found a job that feeds you rather than sucks you dry.

lafloor said...

It's not a lot of money. I'm probably not even making minimum wage, but that's not way this job is so awesome. As you said, being in Egypt is spectacular and this is a great opportunity.

Hazel said...

Renaissance woman! That sounds like you already! The word is french and means rebirth. I see you as rebirthing yourself in Russia as a russian speaking teacher/editor/artist/DJ. Now you are reborn in Egypt photographing antiquities and learning arabic and who knows what else - after 5 months of labor pains in the US. In July, no doubt, you will be reborn again after another labor, however short or long.

I am enjoying watching you grow in spirit and more effectively manage your inquisitive examining introspective reflecting mind so that it works for you.